Saturday, November 9, 2013

Job Interview Questions About the New Job and the Company


What interests you about this job?
When you're asked what interests you about the position you are interviewing for, the best way to respond is to describe the qualifications listed in the job posting, then connect them to your skills and experience. That way, the employer will see that you know about the job you're interviewing for (not everyone does) and that you have the qualifications necessary to do the job.
For example, if you were interviewing for a Human Resources Manager job where you would be responsible for recruiting, orientation and training, you will want to discuss how you were responsible for these functions in your past positions, and why you are interested in continuing to develop your expertise in Human Resources management.
Another example would be if you were interviewing for a Programmer / Analyst position. In that case, you would mention your interest in learning and excelling at new technologies, your experience in programming new applications, and your interest in and your ability to problem solve.
In all cases, you will want to convey your enthusiasm for the opportunity to interview, along with your solid ability to do the job.

Why do you want this job

Why do you want this job? Are you prepared to answer this question in an interview? Career expert and author, Joyce Lain Kennedy, shares her best job interview answers to the question "Why do you want this job?"
Keep in mind that you can customize these answers to fit your particular circumstances and the job you are applying for.
Joyce Lain Kennedy's sample answers to the interview question "Why do you want this job?"
  • This is not only a fine opportunity, but this company is a place where my qualifications can make a difference. As a finance executive well versed in the new stock options law, I see this position as made to order. It contains the challenge to keep me on my toes. That's the kind of job I like to anticipate every morning.
  • I want this job because it seems tailored to my competencies, which include sales and marketing. As I said earlier, in a previous position I created an annual growth rate of 22 percent in a flat industry. Additionally, the team I would work with looks terrific.
  • I well understand that this is a company on the way up. Your Web site says the launch of several new products is imminent. I want be a part of this business as it grows.
  • Having worked through a college business major building decks and porches for neighbors, this entry-level job for the area's most respected home builder has my name on it.
  • As a dedicated technician, I like doing essential research. Being part of a breakthrough team is an experience I'd love to repeat.
  • This job is a good fit for what I've been interested in throughout my career. It offers a nice mix of short- and long-term activities. My short-term achievements keep me cranked up and the long-term accomplishments make me feel like a billion bucks.
  • I want this job selling theater tickets because I'd be good at it. I'm good at speaking to people and handling cash. I would like a job with regular hours and I'm always on time.
  • Although some companies are replacing Americans with imported low-wage workers, you are standing tall. This company's successful strategies, good reputation and values make it heads and shoulders above its competition.
  • I'd fit right in as a counter clerk in your fine drycleaners. I have observed that the counter clerk position requires competence at handling several activities in quick order -- customer service, payments, bagging and phones. I like multitasking and, as a homemaker, I have a lot of practice in keeping all the balls in the air.
  • The work I find most stimulating allows me to use both my creative and research skills. The buzz on this company is that it rewards people who deliver solutions to substantial problems.

What applicable attributes / experience do you have?

When you are asked questions related to the experience that qualifies you for the job, it's important to be very specific about your skills and experience.
The best way to respond is to describe your responsiblilities in detail and to connect them to the job you are interviewing for. Tie your responsibilities in with those listed in the job description for the new position. That way, the employer will see that you have the qualifications necessary to do the job. Focus most on your responsibilities that are directly related to the new job's requirements.
It's also important to be honest and accurate. Don't embellish your job, because you don't know who the hiring manager will be checking with when they check your references.

Are you overqualified for this job?

Are you overqualified for this job? Are you prepared to respond when an interviewer asks if you're overqualified? Career expert and author, Joyce Lain Kennedy, shares her best job interview answers to the question "Are you overqualified for this job?"
Keep in mind that you can customize these answers to fit your particular circumstances and the job you are applying for.
Joyce Lain Kennedy's sample answers to the interview question "Are you overqualified for this job?"
  • Overqualified? Some would say that I'm not overqualified but fully qualified. With due respect, could you explain the problem with someone doing the job better than expected?
  • Fortunately, I've lived enough years to have developed the judgment that allows me to focus on the future. Before we speak of past years, past titles and past salaries, can we look at my strengths and abilities and how I've stayed on the cutting edge of my career field, including its technology?
  • I hope you're not concerned that hiring someone with my solid experience and competencies would look like age bias if once on the job you decided you'd made a mistake and I had to go. Can I present a creative idea? Why don't I work on a trial basis for a month -- no strings -- which would give you a chance to view me up close? This immediately solves your staffing problem at no risk to you. I can hit the floor running and require less supervision than a less experienced worker. When can I start?
  • I was proud to be a charge nurse but I really like getting back to working with patients.
  • I'm flattered that you think I'm headhunter bait and will leap to another job when an offer appears. Not really. This job is so attractive to me that I'm willing to sign a contract committing to stay for a minimum of 12 months. There's no obligation on your part. How else can I convince you that I'm the best person for this position?
  • I'm here because this is a company on the move and I want to move up with you. With more than the minimal experience to just skim by, I offer immediate returns on your investment. Don't you want a winner with the skill sets and attitudes to do just that?
  • My family's grown. And I am no longer concerned with title and salary -- I like to keep busy. A reference check will show I do my work on time, and do it well as a team member. I'm sure we can agree on a salary that fits your budget. When can we make my time your time?
  • Downsizings have left generational memory gaps in the workforce and knowledge doesn't always get passed on to the people coming up. I could be an anchor or mentor -- calm, stable, reliable and providing day-to-day continuity to the younger team. For my last employer, I provided the history of a failed product launch to a new marketing manager, who then avoided making the same mistakes.
  • As you note, I've worked at a higher level but this position is exactly what I'm looking for. You offer opportunity to achieve the magic word: balance. I'm scouting for something challenging but a little less intense so I can spend more time with my family.
  • Salary is not my top priority. Not that I have a trust fund but I will work for less money, will take direction from managers of any age, will continue to stay current on technology and will not leave you in the lurch if Hollywood calls to make me a star. And I don't insist that it's my way or the highway.

What can you do for this company?

A typical interview question to discover what assets you have that are specific to the company's goals is "What can you do for this company?"
First of all, be sure to have researched the company prior to the interview, so you are familiar with the company's mission. Respond by giving examples why your education, skills, accomplishments, and experience will make you an asset for the employer.
Take a few moments to compare your goals with objectives of the company and the position, as well as mentioning what you have accomplished in your other jobs. Be positive and reiterate your interest in the company, as well as the job.

Why should we hire you?

hen an employer asks you, “Why should we hire you?” she is really asking, “What makes you the best fit for this position?” Your answer to this question should be a concise “sales pitch” that explains what you have to offer the employer.
The best way to respond is to give concrete examples of why your skills and accomplishments make you the best candidate for the job. Take a few moments to compare the job description with your abilities, as well as mentioning what you have accomplished in your other positions. Be positive and reiterate your interest in the company and the position. Here's how to prepare your response.
Think of the Job Listing
To prepare an answer to this question, look at the job listing. Make a list of the requirements for the position, including personality traits, skills, and qualifications. Then, make a list of the qualities you have that fit these requirements. For each quality, think of a specific time that you used that trait to achieve something at work. For example, if you list that you are a “team player,” think of a time in which your ability to work well on a team resulted in a successfully completed project.
Keep it Concise
You want your answer to be brief – no more than a minute or two long. Therefore, select one or two specific qualities from the list you created to emphasize in your “sales pitch.” Begin by explaining what you believe the employer is looking for, and how you fulfill that need.
Focus on your Uniqueness
The interviewer wants to know how you stand out amongst the other applicants. Therefore, focus on one or two qualities you possess that might be unique, or more difficult to find, in other interviewees. For example, if you are very experienced with a certain skill that the job requires, say so. This is your chance to tell the interviewer why you would be an invaluable employee.
Examples of Answers
You have explained that you are looking for a sales executive who is able to effectively manage over a dozen employees. In my fifteen years of experience as a sales manager, I have developed strong motivational and team-building skills. I was twice awarded manager-of-the-year for my innovative strategies for motivating employees to meet and surpass quarterly deadlines. If hired, I will bring my leadership abilities and strategies for achieving profit gains to this position.
You describe in the job listing that you are looking for a special education assistant teacher with an abundance of patience and compassion. Having served as a tutor at a summer school for dyslexic children for the past two years, I have developed my ability to be extremely patient while still achieving academic gains with my students. My experience teaching phonics to children ages 6 to 18 has taught me strategies for working with children of all ages and abilities, always with a smile. My previous employer often placed me with the students with the most severe learning disabilities because of my history of success. I will bring not only experience, but patience and creative problem-solving, to this position.

Why should we hire you instead of the other applicants for the job?

Employers often ask a question like "Why should we hire you instead of the other candidates for this position?" as a way to discover the strengths of an interviewee.   Since you will rarely know the strengths and weaknesses of the other candidates, this question is really just an opportunity for you to convey what qualifies you most for the job.
Compare Your Resume to the Job Requirements
The first step in preparing an effective response to this type of question is to carefully analyze the qualifications for your target job. Review the job advertisement and also check the job section of the employer website where there might be a longer job description.
It’s actually a good idea to do this before you apply for a job. That way you can tailor your resume and cover letter so they are as close a match as possible to the job. Here’s how to match your resume to the job requirements.
List the Employer’s Job Requirements
If the employer has provided a detailed list of their requirements and preferences in the job description, then you are ready to proceed to the next step.  If not, then search Indeed.com or SimplyHired.com by similar titles and look for ads which clearly delineate what employers are looking for in candidates for those kinds of jobs.
Another way to gain a clear sense of employer preferences is to conduct informational interviews with professionals in the field to get their view of what it takes to be successful in that type of role.
Also check the skills required for the job. Here’s a list of skills that employers seek for a variety of types of jobs.
List Your Qualifications for the Job
Make a list of the key qualifications for the job which you have uncovered through your research.  For each item on your list, review your own work, volunteer and academic history to determine how you can show evidence of that qualification. Write down an example which shows how you have employed that strength to your advantage.
Why You Should Get the Job
Be prepared to describe the situation, project or challenge, actions you took which showcase the asset and any positive results. Your assets can be skills, areas of knowledge or expertise, personal qualities or relevant areas of experience.
Select 5 - 7 of your strengths that correspond most closely to the job requirements, and use these as the core for your answer regarding what distinguishes you as a candidate.
You can add a couple of your other special qualities which have generally helped you to be successful in productive endeavors and you will be ready to impress your interviewer.

What challenges are you looking for in a position?

A typical interview question to determine what you are looking for your in next job, and whether you would be a good fit for the position being hired for, is "What challenges are you looking for in a position?"
The best way to answer questions about the challenges you are seeking is to discuss how you would like to be able to effectively utilize your skills and experience if you were hired for the job.
You can also mention that you are motivated by challenges, have the ability to effectively meet challenges, and have the flexibility and skills necessary to handle a challenging job.
You can continue by describing specific examples of challenges you have met and goals you have achieved in the past.

How long do you expect to remain employed with this company?

eview sample answers to the interview question "How long do you expect to remain employed with this company?" When you respond, be sure to frame your response so that it's positive.
I've heard applicants say that they only want the job for a short amount of time or are planning to relocate or go back to school. Responses like that aren't going to impress the hiring manager who is looking to hire a long-term employee.
The first level of your response should include some positive commentary about the employer and the role you would play.  Let the employer know clearly how much and why working for them is very attractive to you. Note specific aspects of the job which appeal to you and would encourage you to stay on for a long time.
Sample Answers
  • I believe that this company has the capacity to offer me a rich and satisfying career, and I would like to remain employed here for as long as I am having a positive impact.
  • I would like to pursue my career here for as long as I have the opportunity to.
  • I would like to remain employed here for as long as my services are needed.

Is there anything I haven't told you about the job or company that you would like to know?

It's your turn! As the interview comes to a close, one of the final questions you may be asked is "What can I answer for you?" Have interview questions of your own ready to ask. You aren't simply trying to get this job - you are also interviewing the employer to assess whether this company and the position are a good fit for you.
Here are questions to ask the interviewer so you can ensure the company is a good match for your qualifications and interests.
Interview Questions to Ask the Employer
  • How would you describe the responsibilities of the position?
  • How would you describe a typical week/day in this position?
  • Is this a new position? If not, what did the previous employee go on to do?
  • What is the company's management style?
  • Who does this position report to? If I am offered the position, can I meet him/her?
  • How many people work in this office/department?
  • How much travel is expected?
  • Is relocation a possibility?
  • What is the typical work week? Is overtime expected?
  • What are the prospects for growth and advancement?
  • How does one advance in the company?
  • Are there any examples?
  • What do you like about working here?
  • What don't you like about working here and what would you change?
  • Would you like a list of references?
  • If I am extended a job offer, how soon would you like me to start?
  • What can I tell you about my qualifications?
  • When can I expect to hear from you?
  • Are there any other questions I can answer for you?
Interview Questions NOT to Ask
  • What does this company do? (Do your research ahead of time!)
  • If I get the job when can I take time off for vacation? (Wait until you get the offer to mention prior commitments)
  • Can I change my schedule if I get the job? (If you need to figure out the logistics of getting to work don't mention it now...)
  • Did I get the job? (Don't be impatient. They'll let you know.)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment